11.23.2009

Taste #3: Pumpkin Love


One of my favorite things is driving through a city...or rather, having someone else (or a bus) drive me through city streets. I love just sitting there, craning my neck like a little kid and watching the buildings and lights and people blur by. So naturally, on my bus back to the city this weekend, I put down my book once we reached Manhattan and just indulged my city observer self.


When we passed by Bergdorfs many of the Sunday evening strollers were stopped peering into the window displays, which revealed the famous, gaudy and beautiful Christmas scenes. I reminded myself to have a look sometime in the near future, but my next thought was rather surprising: With Christmas just around the corner, soon no more pumpkin things! You know, normal thoughts. Anyways, on that note, before the Thanksgiving holiday arrives, I though I'd honor one of my most favorite tastes: Pumpkin. I heart nearly everything pumpkin, truly.

PSL (that's what they write on the side of your cup)

I know you can technically get pumpkin tasting things all year round (well, most things, some are strictly seasonal), but it never feels quite right sipping on a pumpkin spice latte in the middle of July. I love when the season and taste feel harmonious in my mouth and mind. Here are some of my favorite Pumpkin specialties.

We have here the Queen of all Pumpkin baked goods the Pumpkin Pie, but there are so many more possibilities...

{image}

Get it...



Yes, I do.

My Mom makes a mean pumpkin cranberry loaf. Perhaps this is where my love of pumpkin began. It's fun to make them and then give them to friends and neighbors.


{image}
Behold two of the most delicious ingredients to be combined (some may disagree, but that's okay. You're just missing out!). Pumpkin & Chocolate (chips).


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (easy peasy):
1 cup canned pumpkin, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 egg, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips. *Combine all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes until lightly brown and slightly firm. YUM!

The cookies come out soft and thick, so you can eat them plain or break them up and put them with other things...above looks like a great example!


Apple-pumpkin muffins. Pumpkin is a fine friend and can be paired very well with a lot of other delicious flavors.

Pumpkin Beer (or Ale, rather) is quite tasty and refreshing. Usually it isn't too pumpkiny to be off putting to the palette. Warning: it is often hard to find out of season. If you happen to order me one of these in the fall, I'd be a happy girl.

Pumpkin seeds. Crunchy and nutty and amazing.

Pumpkin soup. Creamy and delicious and healthy! GOOD. FOR. YOU.

Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt. My friends from home and I sometimes call the frozen yogurt place just to ask if they have this flavor that day. Chocolate and vanilla pale in comparison to this delightful treat! (Personally, I'd take a pumpkin fro-yo over pumpkin beer, that's how good it is).

Look what I found! Pumpkin dim-sum! How silly and wonderful. I will be on the look out for a taste of this.

I am not a fan of peeps in general, but these pumpkin ones are sure bright and happy looking!


I told you I was a big fan of pumpkin. I'm also a pretty big nerd, so I guess this is all very fitting.

Get your pumpkin loving in before peppermint and eggnog season take over!

No comments:

Post a Comment