1.27.2009

What is this?


I have come to realize that I have a certain affinity for things that appear beautiful, feel luxurious, smell delicious, sound soulful, and taste delectable. I find when I push away all of the noise that fills everyday life, the details of what stimulate the human senses are what truly bring me joy. Allowing myself to genuinely appreciate these things help to remind me what it is like to live in the present moment and why attempting this is so precious. Without our senses, we are merely floating beings through a universe of time that is devoid of richness and depth.

The smell of the first summer gardenias, the cozy warmth felt from your favorite comforter, the taste of warm chocolate molten cake, the sound of your best friend's familiar laugh, the vibrant colors of a beautiful photograph...all of these subtleties are what make a life full. Inevitably we all appreciate vastly different sensations and are inclined towards varying stimuli, and this is what makes all of us such complex and interesting individuals.
In an attempt to become a bit more in tune with my own senses and hopefully allow myself to live more genuinely in the moment, I am going to share some of the divine things that I come across that I feel are worth savoring and writing about. Perhaps this will inspire others to appreciate the details that light up their own senses.

Long ago, Aristotle put the idea of the five senses into our awareness, but there are actually at least eleven senses--hence the name of this blog. My goal is to focus on a different sense per post. You might like what I like, you might not at all, but hopefully you will at least stop for a minute and allow yourself to feel something, for that is all we really have.

No comments:

Post a Comment